Sunday, April 15, 2007

so full of goo!

Wow, what a weekend.

One thing I'm learning rapidly...when you date someone with kids, you're quite literally dating the whole family unit. It's not just me and Steph, it's how I get along w/ the kids (and dog) as well. This adds many levels of difficulty to the whole situation, but I'm really strangely comfortable with the whole thing. (One thing I'm not comfortable with...I don't want to use the kids' names here. Call me paranoid, but Steph and I are adults, so that's ok, but their names are unique enough that I don't want to be identifying them recognizably. Hmmmm)

So last weekend I painted toenails. This weekend I helped out with the "hard parts" of an online game, and was granted "best friend" status for the assistance. Saturday Steph wanted to go running so I took the kids to the little playground in the complex. We ran around and played for an hour...games such as "Monster Chase" and Ninja Turtles. Reminded me somewhat of taking Nate and Nick to the park long ago when I was helping to babysit. Except that this time it's the mom I'm interested in spending more time with and not the babysitter... It's a positive thing though that I have a 5 year old boy to take w/ me to TMNT tomorrow, right? Not that I needed the cover...I was going anyway...but this way Steph has a little more quiet in her evening tomorrow, eh?

This is all being seen through the "eyes of ruby" associated with new relationships of course. A big part of me wants this to work out but the realist in me is always there cautioning against falling too hard too fast. There's no reason to do that to myself just because there are small children involved. I have to think quite seriously about the adult relationship that is growing and developing while I am getting to know the kids. So far all of the concerns in that arena are quickly assuaged by the inexplicable comfort and peacefulness I feel with the whole situation. I am quite optimistic that it will stay this way.

"Oh baby know what you're like?/You're like my favorite underwear/It just feels right, you know it"- Liz Phair

2 comments:

Dubs said...

You just made me misty-eyed remembering park time with the boys. You guys sound so good together... I can't wait to meet her (and eventually them).

Kath said...

goo = good!

yay you :-)