Monday, March 29, 2010

Moving truck, WTF*?

Moving Saturday was successful, as most moves are. My things are no longer in my former home and are now split between self-storage and my temporary digs at my parents' place. I'm a bit more established here now- I have my TV and PS3 in my room, and an actual dresser! It's the little things, but seeing as I need to pay off some things before moving on it's good to have some stuff here that makes it more comfortable.

So Saturday started out entertaining. I had reserved a Budget truck from a location right next to a Public Storage facility (which has a big sign on the side advertising TRUCK RENTAL). It seemed convenient and Tim and I got there right at 9, as scheduled. The place didn't open until 10. Weird. Checked my phone and the address listed was not that of the storage facility. Hmmmmm. Remapped and drove towards the correct address...a block away. That's when we spotted the Budget Truck Rental sign up on a pole. Aha! 45 seconds later we're sitting in the parking lot of an obviously closed shop. Huh. Checked the email confirmation again and called the listed number. The girl helpfully told me they were located "at I-70 and Harlan." OK, we're there. More specific? "Oh, we're in the Phillips 66." That's the gas station across the street, directly in between the Budget Truck Rental-labeled place and the "TRUCK RENTAL"-advertising place. Crack much? Turns out they'd picked up the franchise when the other places had quit doing it and the other signs just hadn't come down yet. The truck was rented with one last snag- no ramp on 10' budget trucks. Grrrr. But we made it work.

The rest of the move went about as expected. Steph and the kids helped haul stuff up from the basement and I'm almost completely out, except for the dining room table Steph's "storing" until I get my new place and a bookshelf we ran out of room for. Sunday on my 1st day officially out of the house Mr. K asked me to come over and play Risk with him. So I spent all day in the old house anyway, playing with the kids and taking Obi for a walk. Funny how these things work.

*WTF was defined in a video game I played recently as "Where To Find," meaning you clicked the WTF link to get to the help section. I'm going with that. The title of the post certainly does not rhyme.

1 comment:

Kath said...

Cheers to new beginnings :-)