Monday, August 27, 2007

Engaged! (pt. 2- featuring Content!)

So everybody asks the where and how of such things. I didn't know that the outside world would care, but I like having a record for myself anyway :-)

It started a week ago Friday really, on 8/17/07. I obtained the last piece of the ring and took it to the jeweler to get it sized and all. He said it would be ready Wednesday, 8/22 at noon. Great! Then the question was how to get her up to where I wanted to ask her. I planted the idea last weekend that I wanted to go hiking somewhere Arlo could go along. He hasn't gotten to be with us in awhile so that sounded plausible enough. I suggested back above Golden, she thought that sounded good, and the trap was set.

Adam took the kids Saturday a.m. through Sunday a.m. this week, so it was set for Saturday. We went up to the trail (in the Mount Galbraith Park Open Space), hiked up to the overlook where we had 1st both realized that we were going to be more than weekend hiking buddies, and I popped the question*. I really don't remember exactly what I said, but considering how much we've talked about making this happen a big speech didn't seem terribly necessary. I probably wasn't as romantic and sappy as I would have liked, but I do that at other times I think...anyway, the response was the same. She said Yes ("Of course" is how she put it) and we're officially engaged now. Nobody was hiking by at that time, so we did the self-taken pic thing:
A little while later we were continuing on the trail and passed some folks we got to take our picture again:
You can't really see the ring in either of those, but I promise she has one now!
The rest of the day was spent sipping champagne, calling people to tell them the news, and then dinner at La Fondue. I'm still kind of in shock that I pulled this off. A girl this awesome is going to marry ME?! It seems too good to be true sometimes.

And then my sick yuckiness returned and I've been totally out of it and have hardly seen her. I'm home with strep, which is exactly how I'd always envisioned celebrating this time in my life. Blah.

*Note for future suitors...if your plan involves being on one knee, rocky outcroppings might not be your ideal location.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! I'm so glad Steph gave me your website. I'm so happy it all turned out so well & you two are AWESOME together!!

A few things:

Some similarities:
first, Jarrod also proposed (on one knee) in rocky land.
second, J didn't have strep, but he was sick for DAYS after the proposal

- Stephanie!

Anthogna said...

Maybe the whole proposal thing is harder on a guy than advertised! As long as the end result is happy it's totally worth it :-)